Undergraduate Advising Center & Metro College Success Program 2015 – 2016 Graduate Internship Announcement
In response to the needs of our growing program, we have decided to open up 3 additional internship positions with Metro College Success Program and the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) at SF State for the 2015-2016 Academic Year.
We provide a well-supervised internship experience, which prepares students to work in a college counseling environment. Interns dedicate 16 - 20 hours per week (depending on the intern’s training needs). The student contact component of the internship includes individual appointments, workshops/group work, drop-in counseling, and projects/special assignments. Graduate students can earn hours towards both College and Career specializations and emphases.
Graduate Interns will be trained to effectively counsel undergraduate college students regarding diverse academic issues and concerns including:
- Understanding General Education and graduation requirements,
- Improving study skills (time management, test-taking, note-taking, etc.)
- Exploring various majors and career options
- Orienting freshmen and transfer students to the university
- Counseling students on academic probation regarding their academic progress and making a plan for success
- Provide personal counseling services related to supporting a student’s academic success, addressing such concerns as transition to college, homesickness, identity exploration and development including but not limited to ethnicity, sexuality, ability, career, addressing family dynamics, mental health issues, immigration status.
Benefits of Interning with Metro College Success Program and the Undergraduate Advising Center:
- Work with a dynamic cohort of students, developing relationships with them academically and personally
- Gain experience in developing and facilitating educational and interactive workshops
- Participate in a faculty community coming from many disciplines on campus
- Possibility of a second year internship at CCSF with a parallel Metro Academies program
- Possibility of paid summer position at UAC to assist with student orientation pending funding and performance.
Interested students should submit immediately via email: a resume, cover letter, and copy of unofficial transcript of Graduate level work, if currently enrolled in a Graduate program. We are hoping to fill all positions as soon as possible.
Camille Santana, Metro Advising Coordinator
Internship Focus 1: Metro College Success Program (Metro)(Seeking to fill 2 positions)
The Metro College Success Program is a 2-year long duration student learning community (1 of 2 in the country) designed to support first generation, low-income, and historically under-represented students in the first two years of college at SF State. Upon entering SF State, freshmen students in the program are divided into a cohort of about 70 students based on major and/or career interest and remain with this cohort during their first two years taking specifically Metro designated GE and/or major related courses. In these Metro courses, there is a special emphasis on social justice issues within the students’ field of interest. Students gain a solid foundation to move on to meaningful work in public health, social services, child development, education, business, science, engineering, creative arts, as well as a variety of other disciplines. There are ten academies or cohorts which include: 1) Business, 2) Child and Adolescent Development, 3) Ethnic Studies, 4) Education, 5) Engineering, 6) Health Education I, 7) Health Education II, 8) Liberal and Creative Arts I, 9) Liberal and Creative Arts II, 10) Sciences. As a Graduate Counseling Intern with Metro, you will be providing individual and group advising services, and wraparound case-management support to a cohort of students. You will also be facilitating workshops and collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team to support Metro students.
Internship Focus 2: Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC)(Seeking to fill 1 position)
The Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) provides advising services to all undergraduate students at SF State pertaining to General Education and graduation requirements, with a special focus on students who are undeclared, students interested in changing majors, and students that are taking remediation Math and English courses. The UAC provides individual and group advising services, drop-in advising services, and coordinates the university’s remediation and academic probation programs, in addition to supporting new student orientation services. The UAC also oversees a variety of campus-wide events and initiatives aimed at increasing student success and facilitating graduation. As a Graduate Counseling Intern with the UAC, you will be providing individual and group advising services in appointment and drop-in advising settings, facilitating workshops, and participating in advising events and projects.
Hourly Break down of Typical Internship Week
Interns dedicate 16 - 20 hours per week (depending on the intern’s training needs).
|Individual supervision||1 hour|
|Intern training||2 hour (may be additional as needed)|
|Staff meeting||1 hour|
*includes student contact AND any administrative tasks including documentation, case-management, student follow-up.
Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate counseling program for the 2015-2016 academic year.