New Student Orientation Summer 2013 - Transfer Students
- Reasons for attending Orientation
- Advising at Orientation
- Class Registration at Orientation
- Fees for Orientation
- Information for F-1 International Students
- Register for Orientation
SF State New Student Transfer Orientation is a must for your academic success. We want to welcome you, share our University and give you an opportunity to learn the information needed to get you off to a good start.
Transfers who register for orientation, pay orientation and university fees three weeks prior to his/her Orientation date will receive an official evaluation of their transfer courses. In addition, transfers who attend an orientation are allowed to register EARLY for classes!
We strongly urge you to make every effort to attend this important event at San Francisco State.
Transfer students who participate in our Orientation Program will be better prepared for the semester, encounter fewer academic problems with and will have a positive experience at San Francisco State.
So join us!
You will receive advising and assistance in preparing your first semester schedule.
Orientation includes an in-depth workshop on graduation requirements, also professional counselors and peer advisors are available to assist you with major course selection.
In order to register for classes on your Orientation date, you MUST do the following:
- Pay your University tuition in advance. We recommend you make this payment at least one week prior to your Orientation date. For payment amount and options, please see: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/fees.htm
Note: If you have a financial aid deferment, you will NOT need to pay university tuition before Orientation.
- Have proof of immunizations on file (MMR). You may also bring immunization records to Orientation. For information about immunizations, see https://sites.sfsu.edu/shs/Immunizations_FAQ.html
- Have official transcripts on file with SF State Admissions at least three weeks in advance so that you may receive an early transfer evaluation of your coursework - The Admissions Office must receive all transcripts before your evaluations can be prepared.
Transfer students who complete the orientation process can register for up to 8 units at the end of the orientation session!
The on-campus orientation costs $35 per student and $25 per guest. The fees include your Orientation, advising materials and a meal.
The Southern California orientation costs $75 per person.
Orientation Session Dates!
University tuition (i.e., the cost to register for classes) must be paid prior to orientation. Financial aid recipients who have accepted their award online on SF Gateway do not have to pay tuition, but must still pay orientation fees.
NOTE: Orientation fees are non-refundable, but may be transferred to a different orientation date. An $8 rescheduling charge will be applied if you do not cancel or reschedule your orientation at least 4 days in advance. If you do not attend the orientation you had signed up for, then your fees cannot be transferred to another date. You will to re-register and pay for the orientation fee again.
If you are an International student with an F-1 visa, there are a few things that are different for you:
- You do NOT need to take our placement tests by May 4th. You can test in August, if tests are needed.
- You have an additional week-long orientation that is separate from our orientation session (the Advising Workshop) in August.
See our F-1 International Students link for more details before signing up for an orientation date:
Note: You must accept your Offer of Admission before you can sign up for Orientation.
Starting March 1st, you may accept admissions offer on the SF Gateway link, log in, select New Students, then Admissions status.
Afterwards, reserve your orientation date as it is on a first-come first-serve basis!