Advising for New Transfer Students that missed Orientation...
Step 1: Check your mySFSU account
- Log on your MySFSU account at https://www.sfsu.edu/online/login.htm
- Select "Registration Time" and find your Final Priority Registration (FPR) date and time. This is when you can register online.
- While on that page, you can also check for any Administrative or Financial HOLDS. Holds will be indicated "holds" box. Holds must be taken care of before you register, otherwise you will be unable to register.
- If your registration date and time has passed already, you can only register during the OPEN REGISTRATION hours which are:
- July 30-August 10 (Monday - Friday) from 7 pm to midnight, Sunday 8am - midnight;
- August 12-26 (Sunday-Friday) 8 am- midnight.
Step 2: Review your major requirements and highlight the classes you could choose
- Check the Bulletin (http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/current/programs/degbac.htm) or the department’s website for major requirements
- Focus on prerequisites, core classes, and foundation courses.
- Read prerequisites for each course. Do not register for courses that you do not meet the prerequisite for.
Step 3: Review Segment III requirements and classes listed in the Bulletin
- Segment III classes are your last remaining General Education courses that can NOT transfer from another institution. They are taken in residency at SF State.
- Here is a link to Segment III: http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/current/ge2.htm
- Read the new rules of Segment III (They have JUST changed in June 2012!)
- These may be your BEST choices if your major courses are full.
Step 4: Look at class schedule for available classes
- Here is the link to the online class schedule: http://www.sfsu.edu/online/clssch.htm
- Write down the five digit course schedule number of each course that you might register for.
- When you log onto your MySFSU portal, you will use these schedule numbers to register for each course during your registration date/time.
Step 5: Pay fees
- Please look at the Bursar's website for the most UP TO DATE tuition information. Here is the website www.sfsu.edu/~bursar
- Tuition must be paid before you can register.
- If you have a financial aid fee deferment, you do not need to pay for tuition. Check your MySFSU to see if you have a deferment on file.
Step 6: Register for classes on your Final Priority Registration date
- Log on your MySFSU account at https://www.sfsu.edu/online/login.htm on your date/time.
- Click on "Gator Reg" and enter the course schedule numbers (Step 4) and select "Process My Request".
- If you missed your registration date/time, log in during the Open Registration hours listed in Step 1.
Use the following resources to help you get ready for your first semester at SF State. Always print and bring a copy of your DARS whenever you meet with an advisor.
- Degree Audit Report (DARS) - log onto MySFSU and select "DARS"and review it. The DARS report has your degree requirements and keeps track of the requirements met and the ones to do. Green check marks indicate the requirement is complete. Red "X" symbols indicate requirements not yet fulfilled.
Still have questions? Can I make an appointment with an advisor?
Unfortunately we cannot set up individual appointments for new students until the Fall 2012 semester begins. If you have an urgent advising concern that cannot wait until the semester starts, you can come to one of our Quick Question drop-in sessions in the Undergraduate Advising Center, but ONLY after preparing yourself by completing the steps outlined above.
Quick questions sessions are only 5 - 10 minutes long, depending on the demand. This is NOT a full appointment, so you will need to come prepared with specific questions to ask the advisor and bring your DARS report.
If you already attended an Orientation session, then you MUST bring all your academic documents that you received at Orientation ( DARS, APR/major folder, and your unofficial transcripts).
Our Quick Questions hours are Monday - Friday 10am - 3pm in the Advising Center, Admin. 211.