Advising for Freshmen who missed Orientation
Step 1: Check your MySFSU account
- Log on your MySFSU account at https://www.sfsu.edu/online/login.htm
- Select "Registration Time" and find your Final Priority Registration (FPR) date and time. This is when you can register online.
- While on that page, you can also check for any Administrative or Financial HOLDS. Holds will be indicated "holds" box. Holds must be taken care of before you register otherwise, you will be unable to register.
- If your registration date and time has passed already, you can only register during the OPEN REGISTRATION hours: July 30-August 10 (Monday - Friday) from 7 pm to midnight, Sunday 8am - midnight; August 12-26 (Sunday-Friday) 8 am- midnight.
Step 2: Check your ELM/EPT test scores
- Select “Test Score Report” on your MySFSU account and write down your ELM and EPT test scores (if you took them).
- Review the website: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/opreview/Fall2012/placements.html
- Write down the Math and English courses you need to enroll in based on your test scores
Step 3: Review General Education requirements
- Review Segment I requirements: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/opreview/Fall2012/segment1.html
- Review Segment II requirements: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/opreview/Fall2012/segment2.html
- Review Statutory requirements: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/opreview/Fall2012/statutory.html
- Write down the classes you would like to register for (if they are offered and still have seats).
- Only select lower-division courses (numbered 100-299.)
- Read prerequisites for each course. Do not register for courses that you do not meet the prerequisite for.
- You can view prerequisites through the course descriptions website: http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/courses/index.html
Step 4: Review Major requirements
- The Bulletin will have major requirements listed: http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/current/programs/pgmindx.htm
- Check if there are any lower division courses (#100-299) that you may enroll in
- Check prerequisites for each major course
Step 5: Look at class schedule for available classes
- Here is the link to the online class schedule: http://www.sfsu.edu/online/clssch.htm
- Write down the five digit course schedule number of each course that you might register for.
- When you log onto you MySFSU, you will use the schedule numbers to register for your courses during your registration date/time.
Step 6: Pay fees
- Please look at the Bursar's website for the most UP TO DATE tuition information. Here is the website www.sfsu.edu/~bursars
- Tuition must be paid before you can register.
- If you have a financial aid fee deferment, you do not need to pay for tuition. Check your MySFSU to see if you have a deferment on file.
Step 7: Register for classes on your Final Priority Registration date
- Sign into your MySFSU account.
- Click on "Gator Reg" and enter the course schedule numbers (Step 5) and select "Process My Request".
- If you missed your registration date/time, log in during the Open Registration hours listed in Step 1.
- Freshmen can register for 12-16 units for their 1st semester
- Your schedule should be composed of English, Math, Oral Communication or Critical Thinking, and one or two Segment II courses.
Review the following website for class planning tips and class planner summary: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/opreview/Fall2012/classload.html.
Still have questions? Can I make an appointment with an advisor?
Unfortunately we cannot set up individual appointments for new students until the Fall 2012 semester. If you have an urgent advising concern that cannot wait until the semester starts, you can come to one of our Quick Questions sessions in the Undergraduate Advising Center, but ONLY after preparing yourself by completing the steps outlined above. Since you missed orientation, please be prepared to have a list of several class options for registration. All freshmen registered at orientation, so you will need to be flexible and open to the classes that have seats available.
Quick questions sessions are only 5 - 10 minutes long. This is NOT a full appointment, so you will need to come prepared with specific questions to ask the advisor. Our Quick Questions hours are Monday - Friday 10am - 3pm in the Advising Center, Admin. 211.