New Student Orientation Summer 2013 - Freshmen
You need to attend your Freshman Orientation!
In order to get early academic advising and register early for fall classes, New Student Orientation is required for all first-time college students attending SF State. We want to welcome you, share our University, and give you an opportunity to learn the information needed to get you off to a good academic start. We urge you to make every effort to attend this important event. First-time students who participate in our Orientation Program will be better prepared for the semester, encounter fewer academic problems and will have a positive experience at San Francisco State. Plan to join us!
Advising and Class Registration happen at Freshmen Orientation!
Orientation is the way to receive advising and early priority registration for your classes. Orientation includes an in-depth workshop on graduation requirements. Peer advisors will be on hand to help you plan and register for classes.
Those who miss orientation miss a lot!
A great advantage about attending orientation is receiving an early priority to register for classes. Missing orientation means you register after all students have secured full class schedules! Please make every effort to attend an orientation! When in doubt, contact us for guidance.
Registering for classes at Orientation
will show you how to register for classes during your orientation. In
order to register for classes, you MUST have already taken your ELM
and/or EPT exams, with scores on file. Unless exempted, all new
students are REQUIRED to test, and May 4th is your deadline.
Your Letter of Admissions indicates whether you need to test or not. Failure to test by the deadline will result in not being allowed to attend SF State in Fall 2013. Signing up and taking these tests early, as in March or April can avert such a tragedy.
DO NOT wait until the last minute!
Orientation Fee, University Tuition and Financial Aid
The on-campus orientation costs $35 per student and $25 per guest. The fees include your Orientation session, advising materials and a meal.
The Southern California orientation costs $75 per person.
University tuition (i.e., the cost to register for classes) must be paid prior to orientation. Financial aid recipients who have accepted their award online on SF Gateway do not have to pay tuition, but still have to pay orientation fees.
If you are an International student with an F-1 visa, there are a few things that are different for you:
- You do NOT need to take our placement tests by May as advertised. If you are required to test, there will be testing available in August.
- You have an additional week-long orientation that is separate from the Advising Workshop in August.
See our F-1 International Students link for more details before signing up for an orientation date:
Orientation Session Dates!
How to Register for Orientation
- You must Accept your Offer of Admission starting March 1st through May 1st before you can sign up for Orientation.
- Create an SF State email address that you can remember. TIP! From now on, the university communicates to you via email only. Check your email accounts frequently!
- Sign up for an orientation session.
- Pay orientation fee immediately to secure your space.
- Print and carefully read your orientation confirmation - it will contain vital information and instructions. Bring this with you to your orientation session.
- See you at Orientation! (ON TIME!)
Refer to New Student Requirements checklist. [Checklist]