New Student Orientation Winter 2013 - Freshmen
- Orientation is MANDATORY for incoming Freshmen students!
- Advising & Class Registration at Orientation
- Preparation for Registration & Placement Tests
- Orientation Session Date
- F-1 International Student Orientation
- Fees for Orientation
- Register for your Orientation Session
You need to attend your Freshman Orientation!
In order to properly prepare for Spring 2014 classes, SF State New Student Orientation is required for all first-time college freshmen.
We want to welcome you, share our University, and give you an opportunity to learn the information needed to get you off to a good academic start. We urge you to make every effort to attend this important event. First-time students who participate in an Orientation Program are better prepared, encounter fewer problems, and generally have a very positive feeling about their experiences at San Francisco State.
Plan to join us!
Advising and Class Registration happens at Freshmen Orientation
Advising is required in order for new freshmen to register for classes EARLY! Freshmen register for classes on their Orientation date. We will show you how.
Orientation is the ONLY way to receive advising and receive early priority registration for your classes before school starts. Orientation includes an in-depth workshop on graduation requirements and our experienced professional counselors and trained peer advisors will be on hand to help you to plan and register for classes.
Those who miss an orientation miss a lot!
Failure to register for classes at orientation means you will not have early priority for classes, and will have to add classes in January, after all other SF State students have registered. Thus, appropriate classes will be full or closed. You are no longer guaranteed certain classes for Spring 2014. Thus, make every effort to attend orientation! When in doubt, contact us for guidance.
Prepare for Class Registration and Placement Testing
Remember, in order to register for classes, you MUST have taken your ELM
and/or EPT scores or have exemptions on file by the November 2nd deadline (if the tests are required).
Do you need to test? Your testing status is on your Notice of Admission letter. Failure to take required tests by the November 2nd deadline means you will no longer be allowed to attend SF State this upcoming semester.
Remember, the deadline to sign up for the placement tests is October 27th.
Freshmen Orientation for Non-International Spring Admits
December 7th, 2013 - check in begins at 8:15am - program runs until 4:00pm.
- Bring all admissions documents.
- Bring your ELM/EPT test scores (if taken).
- Clear any holds well before your session date.
Fees for Orientation, University Tuition and Financial Aid
Orientation will cost $35 per student and $25 per guest. The fees include your Orientation and advising materials and a meal.
University tuition (ie, the cost to register for classes) must be paid prior to orientation. Financial aid recipients who have accepted their award online on SF Gateway do not have to pay tuition, but must still pay orientation fees.
See more information regarding Orientation fees and University Tuition.
Information for F-1 International Students
If you are an International student with an F-1 VISA , there are a few things that are different for you:
- You do NOT need to take our placement tests by November 2nd as advertised. (There will be a test date in January for you instead, if either test is needed.)
- You have an additional week-long orientation - January 21st to the 24th - that is separate from the Advising Workshop on January 23rd.
Testing Information and Deadlines for International Students
ELM (Entry-Level Mathematics Test) and/or EPT (English Placement Test)
Test date: Friday, January 17, 2014 (before your orientation week!)
Deadline to regsiter for tests: January 10, 2014
CMSPT (Composition for Multilingual Students Placement Test)
Test date: Tuesday, January 21, 2014
See our F-1 International Students link below for more details before signing up for an orientation date:
How to Register for Orientation
Refer to New Student Requirements checklist. LINK
- You must Accept your Offer of Admission before you can sign up for Orientation. Starting November 1st to the 20th, 2013, you may accept your admissions offer for Spring 2014.
- After Accepting your Offer, you may sign up for an orientation. Please see our one-and-only Freshmen date (for non-International students) offered for Spring below.
- TIP! The university communicates to you via email. Check your email accounts frequently!
- Once registered, pay your orientation fee immediately to secure your space.
- The confirmation for orientation is an online document. Read it carefully for instructions. Print it out and bring it with you to your session.
See you at Orientation!