New Student Orientation Winter 2013 - Freshmen
You need to attend your Freshman Orientation!
In order to get early academic advising and register early for Spring 2013 classes, SF State New Student Orientation is required for all first-time college students attending SF State to register early. We want to welcome you, share our University, and give you an opportunity to learn the information needed to get you off to a good academic start. We urge you to make every effort to attend this important event. First-time students who participate in an Orientation Program are better prepared, encounter fewer problems, and generally have a very positive feeling about their experiences at San Francisco State.
Plan to join us!
Advising and Class Registration happen at Freshmen Orientation!
Advising is required in order for new freshmen to register for classes EARLY! Orientation is the ONLY way to receive advising and early priority registration for your classes before school starts. Orientation includes an in-depth workshop on graduation requirements and our trained peer advisors will be on hand to help you to plan and register for classes.
Those who miss an orientation miss a lot!
Failure to register for classes at orientation means you will not have early priority for classes, and will have to add classes in January, after all other SF State students have registered. Thus, appropriate classes will be full or closed. You are no longer guaranteed enough classes for Spring 2013. Thus, make every effort to attend an orientation! When in doubt, contact us for guidance.
Registering for classes at Orientation
Freshmen register for classes on their Orientation date. We will show
Remember, in order to register for classes, you MUST have taken your ELM and/or EPT scores or have exemptions on file by the November 3rd deadline, if the tests are required.
Do you need to test? Your testing status is on your Notice of Admission letter. Failure to take required tests by the November 3rd deadline means you will no longer be allowed to attend SF State.
Fees for Orientation, University Tuition and Financial Aid
Orientation will cost $35 per student and $25 per guest. The fees include your Orientation and advising materials and a meal.
University tuition (ie, the cost to register for classes) must be paid prior to orientation. Financial aid recipients who have accepted their award online on SF Gateway do not have to pay tuition, but must still pay orientation fees.
See more information regarding Orientation fees and University Tuition.
Information for F-1 International Students
If you are an International student with an F-1 VISA , there are a few things that are different for you:
- You do NOT need to take our placement tests by November 3rd as advertised. (There will be a test date on January 18th for you instead, if either test is needed.)
- You have an additional week-long orientation - January 22nd to 25th - that is separate from the Advising Workshop on January 24th.
See our F-1 International Students link below for more details before signing up for an orientation date:
How to Register for Orientation
Refer to New Student Requirements checklist. LINK
- You must Accept your Offer of Admission before you can sign up for Orientation.
- Starting November 1st to 20th, 2012, you may accept your admissions offer for Spring 2013.
- You must pay an enrollment deposit, if not waived, after accepting Admissions.
- After Accepting your Offer, you may sign up for an orientation. Follow LINKS on SF Gateway.
- TIP! The university communicates to you via email. Check your email accounts frequently!
- Once registered, pay your orientation fee immediately to secure your space.
- The confirmation for orientation is an online document. Read it carefully for instructions.
See you at Orientation!