Orientation Preview for Fall 2014
Once you have been admitted to San Francisco State University, you are ready to take the next steps! The following items are key in preparing for your upcoming orientation session.
Go to the SF State Gateway at http://gateway.sfsu.edu and follow the steps on the New Student Requirements Checklist
- Check your admissions status for Fall 2014 [Check your admissions status]
- Accept your Admissions Offer [Accept your admissions offer]
- Sign up for a First-Time Freshmen Orientation [Register for an Orientation session]
If you have reached this site via a link from your Orientation Confirmation we are assuming that the above steps have already been completed.
Furthermore, the following are key items to take care of before your scheduled orientation session:
- Register and take the May 3rd ELM/EPT placement tests if you need to!
- Pay your orientation fees.
- Come to your orientation session on-time and prepared!
- Have completed your Early Start course or Directed Self-Placement for English requirement (if one or the other is required).
My name is Karen Kingsbury and I am the Director of New Student Programs at SF State. I am happy you're looking at this site - it will make YOUR orientation day go more smoothly.
Please read the instructions on this page and the next - then thoroughly complete the rest of this tutorial. If you have questions, be sure to write them down and bring them to orientation! There are going to be lots of people here waiting to help you prepare for your first semester.
Some of the key people are the GatorAiders (below). They are your new-student peer advisors. They have been training for months in anticipation of your arrival at orientation. Be sure to ask them all your questions!
All of our orientation programs are coordinated and assisted by a group of trained peer advisors called "GatorAiders" who have taken at least one semester of counseling classes in conjunction to their normal degree objectives. Our student staff represent majors from all college disciplines and a variety of student organizations.
In order to register for classes at SF State, you MUST have taken your Entry-Level Mathematics test (ELM) and/or your English Placement Test (EPT). You must have tested by the May 3rd, 2014 deadline if either or both of these tests are required.
Check your testing status on your Notice of Admission letter or SF State Gateway. Failure to take required tests by the May 3rd deadline means you will no longer be allowed to attend SF State.
The Orientation office may contact you via phone or email regarding missing placement test scores before your orientation date. If there are any issues regarding your scores, please contact the Testing Center:
Once you have received your placement test scores, download the "What Do Your Scores Mean" document in preparation to see what math and/or English course(s) you will place into for your first semester at SF State.
On-campus orientation sessions will cost $35 per student and $25 per guest. The fees include your Orientation and advising materials and a meal.
Financial aid recipients who have accepted their award on SF Gateway do not have to pay tuition, but must still pay orientation fees.
See more information regarding Orientation fees.
Please come prepared for your orientation day! We start check-in promptly at 8:15 a.m.
Review all the material on this page and gather all documents that apply to your acceptance into SF State, including:
- Your Notice of Admissions letter
- Placement Test Scores printout
- Advanced Placement Test scores
- Sealed High School transcripts (just in case)
- College transcripts (if any)
- Orientation Confirmation printout
- Financial aid documents (if applicable)
- Housing information (if applicable)
- Immunization records (if applicable)
- A list of important questions to ask once you arrive!
It would be in your best interest to stay organized and keep all important school records and documents in one place!