How to Early Start at San Francisco State & Taking our courses
Below are the next steps you will take to officially register for the Early Start Math course (ESM 40) and/or the Early Start English course (ESE 99).
- First Step: Log onto SF Gateway
- Find and Register for an ESM 40 (Math) and/or ESE 99 (English)
- Paying for Early Start
- Early Starting at a different campus?
First, you need to go to SF Gateway http://www.sfsu.edu/login.htm, and click on "Application Status" on the left hand side of the page. At the bottom of the newly loaded page, under "New Student Requirements" click "Register for Early Start." Then, select that you want to take the course at San Francisco State University. Make sure to press "confirm" at the bottom of the page. Click the "confirm" button one more time.
Note: All Early Start courses offered through SFSU are completely online and are one unit.
***After completing this step you are required to wait 24 hours before you can officially register for San Francisco State Early Start courses.***
Please note, the university will communicate with you by e-mail using ONLY your SF State e-mail address, so check your SFSU e-mail account regularly.
Make sure to read and follow these instructions FULLY in order to register for the course.
The following steps will guide you through the course registration process:
- Go to SFSU’s home page. On the Quick Links tab scroll to "Class Schedule."
- Once you have reached the “Class Schedule” on the LEFT side of the page you will find: Extended Learning Class Schedule. You must click on this tab.
- Next, highlight "Summer 2012" and scroll until you find Early Start Math or Early Start English. Once it is highlighted click on "Search for classes."
- You should now see a list of Early Start English or Early Start math courses. Check the seats available in the course. If the course says "0" under seats then the course is full; scroll down until you find a course with available seats.
- Once you find a course with available seats write down the five digit course schedule number. You will need this number to register for the course.
Note: If you need to take both Early Start math and English you should have two schedule numbers, one for each course ESM 40 & ESE 99.
Open a new web page...
- Go to MySFSU at https://www.sfsu.edu/student and enter your SF State ID number and SF State Password.
- Under “Add & Drop Classes” select “Summer 2012”, select “CEL”(NOT “regular university”) and then select “Gat or Reg.”
- Enter the five digit schedule number. Tip: Try enrolling in one schedule number. If that section is full, try an alternative schedule number for that course.
- Select “Process my request.”
- You should now be officially registered for the course. You should now also see what fees you owe the university, payment deadlines, and a how to pay link. This information is located in the blue bar on the top of this page.
- Select “log out” to successfully log out of the registration system.
Once registered, you will need to visit iLearn http://ilearn.sfsu.edu/the day that the course begins to get information from your instructor and begin the course.
If you have any questions regarding Payment for the course, please visit the payment web page at http://www.cel.sfsu.edu/register/summer2012/howtopay.cfm
If you are an Early Start student and plan on attending SFSU in the fall, you are required to bring evidence that you are officially enrolled in your Early Start English and/or math course(s) to your orientation. If you do not bring documentation with you proving that you are enrolled in an Early Start program elsewhere, you will have a hold on your registration and will not be eligible to register for courses at orientation for the fall semester. Proof of enrollment can include a printed course schedule with your name on it.