SF State and the Early Start Program (ESP)
Mandatory Enrollment Requirement for Fall 2013 First-time Freshmen
Fall 2013 freshmen who are not ready for college-level math must begin
remedial classes in the summer before their first term at SF State.
In addition, Fall 2013 freshmen will be required to take an online English class in order to plan their Fall English composition. Early Start students will be notified throughout the process of application, admission, and registration if they must satisfy this requirement.
Early Start is based up Placement Tests, EPT and ELM.
An EPT score below 138 means students are required to add and complete an English course for Early Start (described below). This must be done through San Francisco State.
An ELM score below 50 means students must take a summer remedial math class. The math class can be one taken either online or at SF State campus. There are other CSU’s offering math courses as well.
Yes. Fees depend upon which course students add this summer.
The Early Start courses will cost $182 per unit plus a mandatory, one-time $2 campus fee (see below for break-down);
- 1-unit math OR English course = $182 + $2 = $184 for just one course
- Both 1-unit math AND English courses = $182 x 2 units + $2 campus fee = $366 for both courses
- 1-unit English course + 3-unit math course = $182 x 4 units + $2 campus fee = $730
- 3-unit math course = $182 x 3 units + $2 campus fee = $548
California residents who apply for financial aid and have an "Estimated Family Contribution" of $5,000 or less will be eligible for a partial or full waiver of the fee.
Early Start for English: Students with EPT scores LOWER THAN 138 and are planning to attend SF State MUST take the 1 unit English course, called ESE 99. There will be both online and in class versions of this course at SF State. Registration information will be given to students after SF State receives their EPT score.
Note: Students enrolled into ESE 99 will also complete Directed Self Placement (DSP) at the conclusion of their Early Start English class.
Early Start for Math: Students
have the option to take math courses at SF State or at other CSU’s.
Registration information will be given via email to students after SF
State receives their ELM score.
All students must try to test as early as possible for ELM and EPT, if needed. Until scores are received, students’ Early Start status will be undetermined.
CHOICES at SF State for Early Start Math:
• ESM 40 - 1 unit class. For ELM score of 48 and below. This choice
is an online class only. A passing grade means you meet Early Start,
and are encouraged to retest on ELM.
• ESM 60, Beginning Algebra - 3 units. For ELM score of 40 and below. This class meets on the SF State campus. A passing grade of C or better means you do not have to take this course in Fall at SF State and can enroll in a higher level math course.
• ESM 70, Intermediate Algebra - 3 units. For ELM score of 42-48. This class meets on the SF State campus. A passing grade of C- or better means you have completely remediated in summer, and will qualify for college level math!
must bring proof of enrollment and payment for their Early Start
course(s) to their summer Orientation session - if no proof is given,
they are NOT able to enroll at SF State.
Students may enroll in a Community College math course. It is the student’s responsibility to enroll directly with the community college. SF State will not do this for you. Bring proof of enrollment to orientation. Questions on classes to take may be addressed to email@example.com
- Take required placement tests (ELM/EPT) as soon as possible! Results determine if you need to Early Start. Deadline to test, May 4, 2013. Until you have an ELM and/or EPT score, your ESP status is “undetermined.”
- Accept Admissions Offer (March 1 - May 1)
- Make up an SF State email. (Hint: forward your SF State email to your personal email.)
- Register for an orientation date. Remember, you must bring proof of Early Start registration and payment to orientation, or you must have finished the SF State Early Start English class.
- Starting April 1, on the New Student Requirements Checklist page, select “Register for Early Start” if test scores are in. This takes you to our website of information about choices for Early Start. Then you will be sent to a site called the Smart Page.
- On the Early Start Smart Page, select the campus where you plan to take Early Start class(es). Submit your choice. (Note: SF Students MUST select ESP English at SF State.)
- Wait for an email with further instructions (applies only to SF State or other CSU’s) about how to add the course(s). It will come after mid-April.
- Students who do not have a tuition waiver for Early Start courses must pay promptly for the course(s). Failure to pay tuition means you will be dropped from the course.
- Bring proof of registration and class payment to summer Orientation.
SF State students who do not take an Early Start class are not allowed to attend SFSU. Students who enroll in Early Start classes but do not take them will be disenrolled from fall classes and will not be allowed to attend SF State. Therefore, by August, students need to give us grades to get credit for completing Early Start!
Students with disabilities needing support services or reasonable accommodations for Early Start Program courses should register with the Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC) at SF State. For more information go to the DPRC website or contact the DPRC at firstname.lastname@example.org.