Gator Reg Registration Instructions
- Before You Register Checklist
- Schedule of Fees (links to the Bursar's Web Site)
- Gator Reg Web Registration
- Academic Load (links to the online Bulletin)
- Unit Limits During Priority/Open Registration
- Unit Limits for Students on Academic Probation
- Dropping Classes
- Adding Classes After Instruction Begins
- Wait Listing
- Glossary of Terms
- Getting Help
Students may register for classes on the Web. Before registering for classes, be sure you have done the following:
- Communication with students is only via email and it is the responsibility of students to regularly check their email for important notices and key dates and deadlines. Registration for all students is on the SF State Gateway.
- Review Registration Time on the SF State Gateway. It will indicate your Priority Registration Date and your Fee Payment Date. If you did not receive an email, you may stop by the Registrar's Counter at the One Stop Student Services Center or call the Registrar's Office at (415) 338-2350.
- Clear any and all holds listed on Registration Time.
- New students must create a SF State Password.
Continuing students should use your existing SF State Password. If you already have a SF State Password and have forgotten it, you must go to the Registrar's Counter at the One Stop Student Services Center with photo ID to change it.
- Pay your tuition before the deadline date (go to the Bursar's website for tuition information) or make sure your Financial Aid has been processed before the Fee Payment Date listed on Registration Time.
Be sure to read the Before You Register Checklist before attempting to register.
- Go to the SF STATE GATEWAY during your Priority Registration Date:
If your Priority Registration Date has passed, you may still register during Open Registration periods.
Note: Your priority registration time period is open for a window of 24 hours from the start of your assigned day and time till the following business day excluding the hours of 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- ENTER your NINE DIGIT SFSU ID #:
For more information about your SFSU ID #, see below.
- ENTER your SF State Password
If you've forgotten your SF State Password, you must see the Registrar's Office at the One Stop Student Services Center with photo ID to change it.
- CLICK on Schedule/Classes and scroll down to Registration. Select the semester of registration and click the Gator Reg button:
Note: If the first day of instruction has begun (check the Registration Schedule), you will need to have a Permit Number before going to the next step.
- ENTER the FIVE DIGIT Course Schedule Numbers:
Course Schedule Numbers are listed in the current class schedule on-line. Paper class schedules are no longer available. SFSU has computer labs on campus for access, including the 24 Hours lab in the Library.
- CLICK on PROCESS MY REQUEST:
After adding/dropping all your classes and reviewing your schedule, press the LOGOUT button to end your session.
Note: After your Priority Registration date has passed, you can only add/drop during Open Registration periods (see the Priority/Open Registration Schedule for dates/times.)
During Early Priority Registration (see Registration Schedule for dates), all continuing students may register and/or wait list for up to 8 units. During the Final Priority Registration (see Registration Schedule for dates), Undergraduates and Second BA students may register and/or wait list for up to 19 units (see the Priority/Registration Schedule for dates and times). Graduate students are limited to 16 units during Final Priority and Open Registration.
Undergraduate students may enroll in a maximum of seven (7) units in a five-week summer session, eleven (11) units in the eight-week summer session, and fourteen (14) units in any combination of summer semester sessions (R1, R2, and R3). Graduate students may enroll in a maximum of six (6) units in a five-week summer session, nine (9) units in the eight-week summer session, and twelve (12) units in any combination of summer semester sessions (R1, R2, and R3).Return to Top
All undergraduate and second baccalaureate students on academic probation will be limited to a maximum of 13 units of enrollment during fall and spring semesters, (excluding summer semester).
This means, that because you have a SFSU or All College GPA less than 2.0 you are on Academic Probation and you may only enroll in a maximum of 13 units for the Fall or Spring semester.
Classes may be dropped via the SF State Gateway starting from the Priority Registration date listed on your Registration Time until the Drop Deadline. Students are responsible for dropping classes by the drop deadline. After the Drop Deadline, a withdrawal form must be completed. See the Registrar's Counter at the One Stop Student Services Center (SS 101).Return to Top
Once the first day of instruction begins (see the Registration Calendar for exact day), you must obtain a Permit Number from the instructor to add a class. Using the Permit Number, you must add the class via the SF State Gateway.Return to Top
Some classes have limited waiting lists. You may choose the wait list option on Gator Reg during priority and open registration until the first day of classes. Students wait listed during this period will be automatically added to those classes when space becomes available. You must be eligible to be automatically added into a class from the waiting list. To be eligible, you must pay sufficient fees, not exceed the maximum number of units allowed, and clear any registration holds. Beginning on the first day of class, there is no automatic adding from waitlists. Instead, enrollment is with instructor approved permit numbers only. Faculty have the authority to determine which students they allow to add their course and do not have to take students on their waiting list.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: It is the responsibility of each student to drop courses by published deadlines. This includes courses automatically added from waiting lists.Return to Top
A five digit number needed to register for a class. Course schedule numbers are listed in the current class schedule . All courses offered are searchable via the online Class Schedule. Paper class schedules are no longer available. SFSU has computer labs on campus for access, including the 24-hours lab in the Library (Annex 1).Return to Top Return to Top Return to Top
Starting on the first day of instruction (see the Registration Schedule for dates), any student wishing to add classes must obtain a Permit Number from the instructor and add the class via the Web or Touch Tone. Classes must be added before the deadline date.Return to Top
Students wishing to register for classes must pay tuition or have financial aid processed by this date listed on their Registration Time (see below).Return to Top
Each student is assigned a day and beginning time to register for classes based on the total units completed by the end of the previous semester. Your Early and Final Priority Registration Date/Time will expire after 24 hours.
Note: Your priority registration time period is open for a window of 24 hours from the start of your assigned day and time till the following business day excluding the hours of 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.Return to Top
Admitted and continuing students will obtain registration information at SF State Gateway including:
- The Priority Fee Payment Date (see above)
- The Priority Registration Date (see above)
- Tuition Costs (go to the Bursar's website for more information)
- Registration Holds
The nine digit number assigned to all students (this is no longer the Social Security Number).Return to Top
During the Priority/Open Registration Period:
Call the Gator Reg Helpline at (415) 338-3333, Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
After the First Day of Instruction: Call the Registrar's Office at (415) 338-2350, Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm or go to the Registrar's Counter at the One Stop Student Services Center (SSB 101).Return to Top