I Want to Apply
For detailed admissions information, choose the category that matches your needs:
Prospective students can easily apply online for admission to San Francisco State, through the California State University www.csumentor.edu.
- First-Time Freshmen: A first-time freshman is defined as a student who has earned no college credit after the summer immediately following high school graduation.
- Transfer: Students with more than 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) are considered upper-division transfers. Students with less than 60 semester units are lower division transfers and SFSU does not accept this population of applicants due to Campus Impaction
- International: If you are applying for or currently on a non-immigrant visa (F-1 or J-1), then you are an international student.
- Graduate: Graduate students are those who have completed a four-year degree and are pursuing a post baccalaureate degree.
- Applicants with Disabilities: Applicants with Disabilities unable to complete a specific course requirement because of disability may appeal to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
- Veterans + Active Duty Military: Military veteran, active duty military, or military dependent.
- Second Bachelors: Please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website for information regarding applying as a second baccalaureate student.
- Extended Learning: SF State's College of Extended Learning (CEL) offers a wide variety of lifelong learning classes, seminars and certificate programs.
Students can easily apply online for state and federal financial aid through the FAFSA or the CA Dream Application. FAFSA is for US citizens, legal permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens. The CA Dream Application is for AB 540 students who cannot apply for the FAFSA. The best time to apply is between January 1st and March 2nd during the year BEFORE you plan to attend. For more information, go to our Financial aid website, call (415) 338-7000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Financial aid is not available to international students. However, all students can apply for university and private scholarships to cover additional educational costs.