As stated in the ITS Initiative, the goals of the proposed access, training and support environment are to improve the:
Training and Support Environment
This section describes specifically how San Francisco State University will achieve these goals by enhancing and expanding successful components of the current environment, and by developing new access, training and support services when appropriate.
- Personal productivity of students, faculty and staff;
- Quality of learning and teaching;
- Quality of student experience;
- Administrative productivity and quality.
Student Workstation Access, Training and Support
Faculty Workstation Access Training and Support
- Develop Internet orientation programs for freshman and transfer students;
- Increase support for computer labs and lab consultants;
- Expand and upgrade the adaptive hardware and software in computer labs;
- Improve the Training Center and increase the number of student short courses;
- Provide multimedia production facilities and dedicated classroom audio-visual equipment for students;
- Connect all classrooms to the Internet;
- Create an Information Competence Program;
- Provide increased student access to on-line information.
Centralized Access and Support
- Develop a program for on-going replacement of obsolete faculty workstations;
- Hire college-based technical experts, discipline-specific experts and graduate students;
- Expand the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching;
- Build at least one electronic class lab;
- Build a collaboratory for the use of specialized groupware;
- Support faculty discipline-based technology projects;
- Provide multimedia production facilities for faculty.
- Install and enhance an Integrated Library System (ILS);
- Increase the capacity and functionality of centralized computing resources for Internet access, electronic communications and curricular activities;
- Site-license communications and Internet access software, including browsers, security software, enhanced electronic mail and groupware;
- Implement and support a university-wide Curricular Web Server;
- Enhance campus information systems.
Network Access and Support
- Extend the hours of Help Desk operation;
- Increase the number of computing consultants available for Help Desk, office visits to faculty and staff, and telephone Help Lines;
- Implement, enhance and expand the use of automated Help Desk tools;
- Improve the Help Desk area.
- Increase the capacity and functionality of the student modem pool;
- Install a dedicated faculty modem pool, and subsidize off-campus access for faculty who live outside the local dialing area;
- Install 100 Mbps circuits, switched building backbones and fiber risers;
- Enhance the digital distribution system for video applications.
1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1111
Last modified February 11, 2008 by the Web Team